Saturday, November 1, 2008

Inspiration


"Desire is the Key to Motivation." - Mario Andretti

That's the quotation on my desk calendar for this weekend. I get one quote a day for Monday through Friday, and Saturday and Sunday must share a quote...so it had better be good, yes? I happen to find Mary Engelbreit very inspiring. I love the color, shapes, and subjects of her work, so having her calendar close at hand makes me happy. Autumn is my favorite season, so it is inspiring as well.

"Be a Lamp, a Lifeboat, or a Ladder."-Rumi

Go forth and help others. It fits with the well known "What goes around, comes around" and so theoretically if we're there for others, we are helping ourselves as well. This could quickly get bogged down into the whole "Why exactly are you helping others".... No, thanks. Just go help. The reasons will work themselves out. When someone is collecting canned goods for our local food bank, I don't care if you give because your heart is full of good cheer, you're hoping for a bit of good karma, or you've found the perfect reason to get rid of the canned beets. Someone in need will still have dinner this month.

"If you can't Excel with Talent, Triumph with Effort."- Dave Weinbaum

Now, there you go. I love this one. I have worked with hundreds of children over the years, and can say with absolute certainty (which for a Libra, is saying something!) that attitude and perseverance trump aptitude any ole' day. I
have seen so, so, soooooo many children--and adults--who have every bit of cognitive brilliance a person could need to make dreams come true. . . and yet they flounder. They wait for the Dream to come to them.

I tell my girls if they want their Dreams to come true, they need to go out, hunt them down, and drag them home. Anything is attainable with belief and effort. :)

I'll leave you with something to mull over:

"It is only with the Heart that one can see Rightly; what is Essential is invisible to the eye."- Antoine de Saint Exupery

Inspiration and Motivation are both very personal things; what inspires you and your work? And check out my new link The Write Soul for some truly inspirational writing posts.






10 comments:

Lee McKenzie said...

Gillian,

What a lovely post. I especially like the quote, "Be a Lamp, a Lifeboat, or a Ladder." I tend to get wrapped up in my own life and forget to lend hand to others.

Congratulations on being the winner of this month’s contest on the Harlequin American Romance Authors blog!

Lee

Gillian Layne said...

Hi Lee, and wow, thanks for the good news!! :)

Unknown said...

I've been saving fortune cookie sayings for a while, and love to find new motivational things. Thanks for posting yours. When I had my own classroom, I always had the quote of the week up and talked about it with my kids. I use the Quote Garden online all the time for my own blog and have found some great stuff.

Gillian Layne said...

Yes, you do have excellent quotes on your blog, Maggie. I wish our English department would have the kids analyze some. It promotes the most interesting dialogue.

Kelly Krysten said...

Right now I'm finding NaNo very inspirational. There's something about having a goal and strict parameters for when it must be accomplished. It's just what I needed to FINALLY be productive.

Great quotes, Gillian!

Mary Danielson said...

Gillian, I'm feeling all refreshed after reading that wonderful post! Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I get inspired by reading about other author's successes and motivations. That may just be the way-too-competitive bit in me that likes to shout : If they can do it, why can't I? But I like to think it's just all those good vibes rubbing off! ;)

p.s.: You may want to stop by First Edition today, Gillian...there's an award with your name on it waiting for you!

Gillian Layne said...

Kelly, I'm so glad you had a moment to stop by in all your busy-ness! Nano is very impressive, and I know you'll be brilliant!

Mary! I am SO flattered, and excited to get to choose a group of my own! Of course you ladies are at the top of the list (((hugs))).

Chiron said...

Gillian,

This is such a great essay. And the Rumi quote says it all for me...

That's a keeper.

Thanks for the inspiration!

--Chiron

Kate Sheeran Swed said...

A lovely essay! I'm always looking for more inspiration - thanks so much for making my Google Reader bright and cheerful :)

Gillian Layne said...

Thanks, Kate!