Saturday, September 8, 2007

On the Other Hand. . .

Giving each side due consideration.
Thinking it over.
Waffling.
Oh, just make up your damn mind, already!

Do you possess a deliberate nature? Do you second guess either your actions, or the actions of others? Do you spend long hours, days, weeks, years trying to make the right decision? Hell, do you spend all that time trying to make any decision?

Any Rush lovers out there? Remember the lyrics "and if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" ? Maybe so, but those are the choices that tend to keep us up at night. We know that a choice born of procrastination is very much a choice that's being made for us by someone else's actions.

I'm a Libra, but long before I knew what the symbol was for my sign (the lovely scales, for those of you that don't know), I knew decision making wasn't my forte. I'm better at it now, of course. Age has helped. I don't care so much what others think, and I am a great deal more aware of the passage of time. Putting off decisions, big or small, wastes precious time.

But when faced with decisions, I still long to gather as much information as humanly possible, because I still want to be right.

Are you an gut-instinct, instant decision maker? Or do you collect endless data before taking the big leap, be it concerning what movie you will see this weekend or which new job you choose? In the end, do you think one set of decision-makers are more effective than another?

6 comments:

Renee said...

I try very hard not to make decisions. I hate making decisions. I never thought that by not making a decision, the decision was made. :)

Anonymous said...

I tend to waffle between careful thought and blind leap. I agonize over stupid little things, but do some really big things - like a career change - in half a second. near as I can tell the instant decisions have been just as good as the more thoughtful ones, but that won't keep me from waffling.

Unknown said...

Oh, a fellow Libra here. And I can see every single damn point of view, which drives my husband completely crazy.

But I tend to act quickly and think later a lot of the time. I'm old enough to know to buy something right away before it's sold tomorrow, for example.

I'm big on instincts when it comes to evaluating others, but am woeful when it comes to figuring out what's best for me. The perfectly balanced Libra in me always thinks I could do/be more.

Happy birthday!

Gillian Layne said...

Hi Renee. Interesting thought, isn't it?

Alice, I've always suspected the instant decisions were just as good. Wish I could do that.

Maggie, happy b-day to you as well! Mine is in glorious October, but I'll have to work on this one-bummer-last year I took off.

Anonymous said...

ps. Thank you for the books! Cute card.

Tessa Dare said...

I'm a Scorpio... if that has anything to do with it - and although I do like to make lists and weigh factors and whatnot, in the end it always comes down to my gut.