Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Day After....

One minute your small town is busy with normal Saturday afternoon tasks; mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, a quick trip to the grocery store. . .


The next, most of what you know and love is gone.



This isn't our town. The tornadoes missed us--again, by only ten miles this time. But several of our neighbors to the south and east suffered heavy loss of life and property. It's Kansas, and that's how it goes, and someday we might not be so lucky.






These were our friends and neighbors, and we don't have to know them to grieve for their losses, while trying to find a way to help them rebuild and move on.

On this Mother's Day, I honor their loss and wish you all a peaceful holiday with those you hold dear.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know if global warming is true, which I really think it is, then those tornadoes are going to get bigger, meaner, and more frequent. I feel for you, but I also escaped. Not that the tornadoes were our main reasons for moving back to the mountains. But they did contribute.

Gillian Layne said...

Yeah, it's a scary thought. But I would worry about other things in other locations. Better the devil you know?

And I really do love the Midwest.

Terri Osburn said...

So glad to hear that you and yours are ok. The tornadoes that ripped through VA a couple of weeks ago missed us by about 20 miles. And the town where I used to live in AR, where I still have friends, have been hit three times already this year.

Alice is right, they are getting meaner but more frequent is the problem. I lived in AR for 7 years and never saw one close up. Since I left, they are getting several a year. It's so scary.

I realize I've moved to hurricane country but at least with a hurricane, you get a couple of weeks notice so you can get out of the way. Tornadoes have so little warning.

Gillian Layne said...

Thanks Terrio. I must admit, the thought of hurricanes would scare me much more than a tornado!

Lee McKenzie said...

Gillian, you're right about there always being something to worry about. Here in the Pacific Northwest, it's earthquakes and tsunamis.