Monday, April 19, 2010

Pen, Keyboard, or Paper Napkin?

Hubby heard me mention how handy a tiny netbook would be. I run errands. I drive kids. I wait in lines and offices. That is, I lead a life just like the rest of you. A netbook, I informed him, doesn't just hook a person to the internet. You can write on that puppy. It has Windows 7 and everything. And rumor had it those bad boys have an awesome battery life. We should check it out in our spare time. (Pause for a moment of hysterical laughter)

So hubby brought one home Friday night.  I was shocked (why? He's a techno-whiz type person) and thrilled (I didn't have to even offer an opinion on the subject-hurray!) and spent the weekend falling in love with that cute little box. Technology irritates me on a regular basis, as I never know enough to ask intelligent questions or understand explanations, but I love this thing. It has been simple (so far) and efficient and easy to type on.

I still have my piles of notebooks in the car and at home. When push comes to shove and the computer screen feels like enemy #1, I retreat to the comfort of pen and paper. But my aching hands don't appreciate that as much as they used to. Keyboards are just kinder to my fingers.

Does how you write vary? Or do you stick with one location and method? Do you have a notebook or netbook? And does that "no disc drive" bother you at all?

9 comments:

Renee said...

I haven't even looked at one to know if I'd like it or not. I do like writing with pen and paper. I keep a stack of index cards in my purse for all those errands, so I guess my writing does vary. If I'm waiting in the car during piano lessons I tend to write in a notebook, at home-it depends on my mood.

Have fun with your new toy. I bet hubby gets some mega points for that one.

Gillian Layne said...

I've always thought note cards would be a smart way to go, because you could move scenes or ideas around when you're lining out the story. I just never seem to have any around. I think the kids use them all. :)

Lee McKenzie said...

My husband has a small notebook computer and I can't use it. I'm an old-school touch typist and the keyboard is way too small.

Depending on where I am and what I'm dong, I vascilate between my desktop and laptop, and I still even use my old AlphaSmart from time to time. I resort to pen and notepad when I need to jot down an idea an I'm not close to a keyboard.

Gillian Layne said...

You know, I told my husband I was wondering if I liked the netbook so much because it was tiny--and not so intimidating. The desktop he picked for me has a large wide-screen monitor so I can see two pages side by side. It's pretty intimidating when I can't think of the words to write. ;)

Glynis Peters said...

It looks so cute! Have fun with it, if you can get it away from your DH.

I write with ink on notepads. If my wrists ache, then it is keyboard time.

PS: Thank you for your encouragement by the way. :)

Gillian Layne said...

Glynis, you're so welcome. We're all in this together!

EmilyBryan said...

I have a little 10 inch eeePC, which I've kept as more or less an internet virgin (which means I don't connect it to the web unless I'm traveling.) Not only does this cut the likelihood of a tragic virus devouring my work, it eliminates the distraction factor of email calling to me.

Gillian Layne said...

Emily, me too! I mean, that's the brand that he brought home. I'm loving it so far.

St. Andrew said...

I think the lack of an Internet connection is key to avoiding distractions. I used to prefer writing longhand with Uniball pens in Moleskine notebooks (I was very particular!), but have drifted away from that since I found it was often an excuse not to write. Now I'm a write-anywhere, use-anything type of writer. Computers, laptops, scraps of paper, etc....whatever's available at the time!