Monday, December 6, 2010

Winter Treats

Recipe of the Day: 

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
Photo by: Taste of Home

 

Rate Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe


  • 12 Servings
  • Prep: 30 min. + standing

Ingredients

  • 2 large sweet red pepper
  • 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • Pita bread, warmed and cut into wedges, and reduced-fat wheat snack crackers
  • Additional garbanzo beans or chickpeas, optional

Directions

  • Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
  • Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Place the peppers in a food processor. Add beans, lemon juice, tahini, oil, garlic and seasonings; cover and process until blended.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with pita bread and crackers. Garnish with additional beans if desired. Yield: 3 cups.


8 comments:

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

It's always nice as a vegetarian to come across new recipes -- I adore hummus!

Gillian Layne said...

Thanks for coming by! I really love hummus, too. And it's good for you! As much time as I spend by a computer, I need more healthy snacks. :)

Louisa Cornell said...

I don't eat enough healthy foods, but I do love hummus! Definitely trying this one out! Sounds like it would make a great addition to my New Year's diet!

Gillian Layne said...

I'm thinking a lot of vegetable soup come January. But in December, I eat whatever I want. It's Christmas!

Donnell Ann Bell said...

Oh my gosh, this sounds terrific. I'll have to make it for Christmas appetizer. Thanks Gillian!

Gillian Layne said...

And it would be easy to make ahead and keep. I hope you enjoy it, Donnell! :)

Unknown said...

Oooooo.....in the face of all the sweet food everywhere right now that hummus look sso tempting. Gotta get some healthy back into my life!!

Gillian Layne said...

We are craving fresh fruit now as well. Especially pineapple. I hope you enjoy it. :)