Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Recipe
- 12 Servings
- Prep: 30 min. + standing
- 2 large sweet red pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pita bread, warmed and cut into wedges, and reduced-fat wheat snack crackers
- Additional garbanzo beans or chickpeas, optional
- Broil red peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off and discard charred skin. Remove stems and seeds. Place the peppers in a food processor. Add beans, lemon juice, tahini, oil, garlic and seasonings; cover and process until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with pita bread and crackers. Garnish with additional beans if desired. Yield: 3 cups.